i’ve been mia from the blogosphere and it makes me sad that i didn’t chronicle the entire month of september. not a day went by without me thinking about finally writing another entry, but i kept putting it off for “tomorrow.” so much has happened since then.. umm, mostly just life.. with two kids. but seriously, at the end of the day, i just wanted to sit on the couch with munchies and watch tv.
we started shameless recently. i can’t believe it’s been around for seven years (eighth season starting soon) and i am just getting into it now. (we are on season 2.) it’s rather addictive. i also began and finished atypical, a netflix series about a teenage boy on the autism spectrum trying to find a girlfriend. dennis couldn’t get into it, but i really enjoyed it. this is us also returned a few weeks ago so i’m watching that on tuesday nights along with fresh off the boat. two big shows are returning this month: the walking dead and stranger things. more reasons to veg out on the couch after a long day.
i also started reading for pleasure, again. i purchased john green’s new book, turtles all the way down. i’m taking my time reading it though because now i’m busy trying to catch up on my blogging (among other things) at night! ellington library is having a book sale this weekend so i brought penny with me this morning. they didn’t have a good selection of children’s books for sale so i only bought two. i was also getting carried away with the adult books until i realized i can just borrow them from the library. the grand total for two adult books and two children’s books was $1.00!
a big reason i was also not blogging was because i was working on two scrapbooks: one for my mil and one for my good friend, genie. i decided to make each of them a scrapbook as a birthday gift, and even though i knew these would be time-consuming projecst i still didn’t give myself enough time to work on them. for genie, i showed the mostly-finished scrapbook to her at her surprise birthday dinner and took it back to finish. for weeks, i stayed up until nearly 2am, on some nights, to work on them! it was insane.. and i would have to wake up early to take care of the kids. i’m feeling so much better now that i am a little more well-rested. (i still have a bad habit of staying up late.)
a good change i’ve been making in my life is starting to work out again. i was browsing my town’s park & rec catalog for classes i would possibly be interested in taking this fall. i came across pound, a group workout that uses weighted drumsticks, and was intrigued. after bringing up the class to the mom’s group that i am a part of, three other moms joined me in going to the group workout! i actually had a lot of fun, but it was hard because i am incredibly out of shape! i could barely do lunges let alone try drumming the floor at the same time. another class that i’d always been interested in trying is zumba. i had a blast! i liked all of the song choices that the instructor incorporated into the routine particularly the unexpected ones like “rollin’ down the river.”
dennis and i do have memberships at a gym that offers zumba, but none of the times work for me. the one i go to is on mondays & wednesdays at 7pm. this works out perfectly for me because i can help with the bath portion of the kids’ bedtime routine before leaving at 6:45pm. dennis usually comes home around 7, or a little after, on mondays-wednesdays so the time couldn’t have been any better, really.
like i mentioned before, so much has happened in these past six weeks (!) that i haven’t blogged. i’m quite overwhelmed at all of the catch-up posts that i have to do.. not to mention uploading all of photos i want to share. (and sadly, i still haven’t done my dad’s birthday from june!)
here’s a quick update before i go:
- 6 months old! i cannot believe he will be a year old in… six months!
- he is rolling onto his tummy now but have only just started seeing it in person! he keeps doing this in his crib, mostly.
- he’s also pivoting in all directions and trying to crawl
- eating solids: loves sweet potatoes, carrots, apples, pears, and butternut squash; hates peas!
- 2 teeth finally broke through but they have to make any progress beyond the tiny dots
- still happiest during bath time, in the jumperoo, and taking walks
- loves to watch his sister and dog
- 9-month clothes are getting snug and short on him… we need to move on to 12-month clothes
- “talking” a lot more and yelling out
- bangs his toys around
- loves looking at the ceiling fan and penny’s chandelier (as she did when she was an infant!)
- vocabulary (english & korean) rapidly growing every day
- speaking, up to, 6+ word sentences
- counting ability and number recognition is on par with a 4-5 year old according to connecticut standards
- identifies and says all 26 uppercase letters
- memorizes oft-read books
- can sing 8+ songs on her own including the abc song; twinkle, twinkle, little star; i’m a little teapot; and korean songs
- talented at drawing!
- still loves mickey and minnie mouse
- sudden interest in her donald duck doll (dolls altogether) and taking care of him
- loves to sort objects and line them up/put them in order
- plays more with her kitchen than she ever has before
- still gets jealous of her brother; controls what toys he plays with
- fully day-trained for the potty and has been diaper-free at night for almost a month now
- has been pacifier-free for nap/bedtime for about 3 weeks now. still asks for it now and then, and can get whiny, but she’s slowly getting better
- transitioned to a toddler bed due to nighttime potty training. she’s doing great and loves her bed!
- used scissors a few weeks ago for the first time
- overall, a great eater. loves korean food especially different kinds of soups and fish; vegetables like onions, broccoli, and spinach; fruit such as golden kiwi, grapes, and clementines. hasn’t liked pasta and cheese for as long as i can remember (which kills me because pasta is my favorite)